Tuesday, November 13, 2007

It's beginning to sound a lot like Christmas...

I'd like to risk some vulnerability and let all of you strangers out there in on a recent conflict in my marriage. You see, my favorite day of fall is the first day when it is noticeably cold outside (the "brrr" factor, as I've heard it called). On this day, I like to celebrate by putting on my favorite Christmas tunes. This year, it's the wicked TSO CD that I got for Christmas last year and only got to enjoy for a couple of days.

I have a specific memory of when this became a cold-snap tradition of mine. The cold arrived in early October of my freshman year of college, and my soul was buoyant in anticipation of a much-needed breakup. I was driving to Temple to go to a football game with some friends, and the upbeat strains of Hanson's Snowed In on my Jeep stereo matched my mood perfectly.

Ever since then, the first combination of holiday tunes, long sleeves, and brisk weather has been the highlight of my year. This day makes me dance around the house with Yuletide joy, yes, even in October.

But back to the conflict. You see, Stephen still holds to the antiquated, "don't wear white shoes after Labor Day" belief that Christmas music is inappropriate until the day after Thanksgiving. He protests every time I start to belt out songs of holiday gladness, even as his own toes secretly tap underneath the table. He almost refused to be seen with me the other day when I wanted to wear my "'tis the season" long-sleeved shirt. He says I ruin the anticipation of the Advent season when I start it prematurely.

My argument is that I am getting my money's worth out of my super-soft red shirt and my festive music. You'd think that this would appeal to my husband's thrifty side. I also try to appeal to his inner minister when I claim that it is appropriate to celebrate the birth of Christ all year round. Stephen claims to be unmoved.

I say that, despite my indulgence in shirts and carols, I exercise a lot of restraint. I still have my fall decorations out, and I have not started lighting my cinnamon and clove candles yet. Also, I have saved all of my Christmas shopping for the "official" start of the season. Besides, listening to Christmas carols in October does not lessen my anticipation of the Thanksgiving holiday (hello...I'm a teacher.)

I am aware that there are some holiday purists out there. But I don't think I'm alone here. I'm following the immortal advice of "Uncle" Billy Mack..."If you really love Christmas, come on and let it show." (or was it "snow"? oh, well.)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll never forget the day at the chatham house one summer when I walked into your room...you were wearing your tiny cutoff blue jean shorts and cleaning to the blaring voices of the Hanson brothers on their aforementioned Christmas album.

Ah, I love Christmas music. At any time of year.

Jill Anderson said...

I'm with you! I LOVE this time of year and everything that comes with it. I was so excited the first couple days of cool weather we had this year...until the cold front moved out and it was 85 degrees again. I'm hoping we get more cooler weather soon! I have hot chocolate and apple cider in my pantry waiting to be sipped! :)

Lindsey said...

@ laurashmaura- Let the record show that I don't listen to Christmas music in the summertime any more.

@ Jill- I'm with you. Cold front tonight??

T said...

Hanson? Ew. But I do like Christmas music!

Anonymous said...

umm cold front just hit.
i walked out of school at four and it was 85.
i walked out of church at nine and it was in the 50s. and cold wind.

and just so you know linds, the christmas cd i i stole from you is my very favorite. and i listened to it constantly last year. and plan to do the same.
in fact. i think i'll turn it on tonight.
yay holidays.
=]

KarenD said...

Sigh. I am suddenly reminded that I was never able to find my stash of Christmas CDs last year.

Anonymous said...

Alas, I have to side with Stephen a little bit here. I save my Christmas music for December, so I don't ruin it by overuse. For the same reason I only make cranberry-apple jello salad and cornbread stuffing twice each year. The anticipation makes it sweeter, and the longing for it gives me something to look forward to.
ch

Anonymous said...

I just listened to Hanson Christmas in your honor.

Lindsey said...

Rock on.