Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Nails Anonymous

While Stephen is back in school and while the primary benefits of my career remain "intangible" (as it was explained to me in my job interview), we've been trying especially hard to keep our frivolous spending to a minimum. I pared down pretty admirably, but ultimately I proved to be the weakest link.

I feel very vain and high-maintenance by admitting this, but this blog has functioned as a public confessional before, so I'll go ahead and spill. As I have perused my credit card statement, looking for places to trim more for next month, there is one very obvious frivolity that I insist on overlooking: regular charges to Escape Nails Spa.

I try to justify this expense: I wait three weeks between visits instead of the recommended ten days. I take myself to the low-grade salon that only charges $15 a visit, subjecting myself to chatter in a language I don't speak and the possibility of nail fungus every time. My current salon is running a 20% off sale until after Christmas. But the fact of the matter is that I can't bear the thought of attending holiday parties and visiting family with my nubby, mangled fingers in their natural state, undisguised by the lovely smooth layer of acrylic and polish. It would be as bad as the classic dream of arriving to class in my underwear.

People have asked me why I don't just stop biting my fingernails, as if it's as simple as a matter of willpower. It's as ludicrous as asking a compulsive gambler why he doesn't just stop playing slots. Nail biting is a harder habit to stop than smoking, because there are no patches. I can't even get rid of all temptation without cutting off my fingers all together, and that would be no good, for then how could I blog?

I can trace my nail biting goes back to a traumatic incident in my childhood--the time my parents made me stop sucking my thumb. Dr. Freud would say I must have experienced some trauma during my oral development phase to have such a strong fixation. (Think what you will about Freud, but this would explain my irrational attraction to the idea of smoking. Besides, Freud was a genius.) But unfortunately for this theory, my childhood was basically trauma-free.

I've tried bitter nail polishes, latex gloves, sheer willpower, self-bribery, band-aids, prayer, and basically every other home remedy I could get my hands on. Nothing works, except putting on fake nails. And that only lasts as long as the nails.

I don't know what my long-term solution will be. For now, my compromise is to keep my nails through the holidays, which happens to be as long as the sale continues at my nail salon. In January I will let them go natural, and I will be hoping for lots of opportunities to wear mittens.

5 comments:

Carolyn said...

Are you saying you're not worth the extra expense. So much depends on your mental image of yourself. So go ahead and indulge in the nail salon habit.

I, too, always bit my nails until I was well into adulthood, a nasty habit. I started wearing acrylic nails about 15 years ago, and voila, no more nail biting!

Con: money is tight
Pro: no nail biting
no ugly hands
no sitting on hands or hiding
in mittens
peace of mind

So I am in favor of you continuing getting nails. Find something else to cut from the budget if possible.

Lydia said...

Well, as one who doesn't have a nail biting problem, I'm on the other side from my mom. They're nails! They serve a function and that's that. They don't have to be pretty, especially for $15 a session.

I always am in favor of natural, and prefer even short, chewed nails to acrylic. There are few acrylic nails that look right to me.

Of course, that's just a personal preference! I also like old wrinkled hands because of the work and love they represent. Hands don't have to be perfect to be beautiful.

Carolyn said...

See, that's an artist's viewpoint. Mine view is if something bothers you and it's fixable, fix it.

KarenD said...

Alright, I'll chime in!

(By the way, Lyd, Lindsey keeps her acrylic nails short and painted with pretty and subtle colors. So, they probably don't look as fake as what you're imagining.)

$15 every 3 weeks is not really that much. I mean, I know every little bit helps. But it does seem like a small price to pay for a little bit of sanity.

Now, on quitting biting... I used to be nail biter, I think even well into college, but somehow I've stopped. I wish I knew how or why... I do remember John telling me to stop, but of course you can't have someone there all the time.

I am not without my habits, though. I have the hair twiddling thing, which I think is similar to nail biting. It's something to do with your idle hands.

My nervous habit, however, is biting the inside of my lip and cheek. I can tell that I do this more when I'm stressed.

In theory, if we knew the source of our habit (ie: insecurity, need for control, or whatever) then we could fix it, right? Hmm, I don't think it works like that.

Is there an NBA? Nail Biters Anonymous?

Lydia said...

My nails used to be thin and brittle. I didn't chew on them, but I picked at them. In high school and on into college, I used something called Nailiques (Formula 2). My nails got much stronger and remained that way even after I quit using the polish. There's even a special formula for people who've worn acrylic nails for awhile. There's an expense, but it won't be the $15 every three weeks.

(Wow, I sound like an infomercial!)

Anyway, it's good stuff, and might be a good option if you decide to go natural.