Thursday, October 18, 2007

Chalk Talk

It occurred to me today that chalkboards are now as obsolete as Easter bonnets. You can find them in a few primitive communities and ancient church Sunday school rooms, but for the most part chalkboards have been replaced by the more classroom-friendly dry erase board. It's sad for me, as possessing supreme power of the chalk was one of the main reasons I wanted to become a teacher in the first place. Getting to be master of the markers is not quite as glorious, more like glorified kindergarten.

I remember staying in at recess and inventing writing games to play on the board, just for the sake of practice. I remember my eccentric science teacher in fourth grade showing us how you could make the chalk skip across the board making dots by holding it at a certain angle. And, saddest of all, gone is the childhood joy of banging chalk dust out of erasers onto the board itself, onto classmates, and into the grass outside of the building. I realized that this is a memory that I could share with Laura Ingalls but not with my own fourth grade students.
Aesthetically, the green board is a loss, for what better complements the red-apple decor of school days? The giant white board now dominating the front of most classrooms is impersonal and intimidating, evoking thoughts of arctic tundra, hospital corridors, and women's legs in the winter.

Besides, when you want to get the attention of a classroom full of unruly teens, scratching fingernails across a chalkboard was always a sure last resort (just ask Sister Mary Clarence). All we can do now is to keep the door shut and hope the fumes from the dry erase markers will eventually slow the pranksters down.

7 comments:

Lindsey said...

I will post vacation pics eventually, by the way. Just having some technical difficulties getting them uploaded.

Anonymous said...

haha.
you should just be like coach palmer who demanded his room have chalkboards.
and guess what.
it does.
i don't really like them as much.
chalk squeaks.

Jill Anderson said...

This is totally off-topic, but I always thought it would be fun to spray a section of a kid's room wall or a table with that spray-on chalk board stuff. Chalk is fun! We shouldn't erase it completely from our lives. :)

Lindsey said...

I agree. And I love chalkboard paint. I definitely want to use it in my grown-up house as well!

KarenD said...

Chalk dust irritated my fingers. I'm not cut out to be a teacher, I guess.

Anonymous said...

just thinking about scratching fingernails on a chalkboard will give me chills down my spine.

Anonymous said...

Um, it's kind of weird that the ABC on the chalkboard picture that you posted, actually looks like your hand writing...